The Flower Fields
– presented at Carlsbad Ranch in Carlsbad, California
March 1st to May 31st | Open 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM Daily
For ten weeks each spring, on coastal farmland in Carlsbad, California, 50-acres of Giant Tecolote Ranunculus flowers bloom and transform the landscape into a solid expanse of vibrant banded color. The Flower Fields® cover a rolling hillside overlooking the Pacific Coast, and is located halfway between Orange County and San Diego.
For over sixty years, Mother Nature has transformed the rolling hills of North San Diego County into one of the most spectacular and coordinated displays of natural color and beauty anywhere in the world. The nearly fifty acres of Giant Tecolote Ranunculus flowers that make up The Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch® in Carlsbad, California, are in bloom for approximately six to eight weeks each year – from early March through early May – literally bringing the famous fields back to life. This annual burst of color, which has become part of the area’s local heritage, also is one of nature’s official ways of announcing the arrival of spring here in Southern California.
The Flower Fields History
Today, the Flower Fields are a direct result of over 85 years of floral cultivation that began when Luther Gage, an early settler and grower settled in the area in the early 1920’s. Mr. Gage brought Ranunculus seeds to the area and began growing them in his fields next to Frank Frazee’s small vegetable farm in South Oceanside. This started a business called “Luther Gage Giant Tecolote Ranunculus bulbs”. The name “Tecolote” came from the owls that nested on his property.
The Flower Fields Features
|Rose and Theme Gardens||Picture Taking Areas|
|Picnic Areas||Sluice Mining||Sweet Pea Maze|
|Handicapped Accessible||Poinsettia Display||Cymbidium Greenhouse|
|Armstrong Garden Center||Antique Tractor Wagon Ride||American Flag of Flowers|
Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch Admission (Free Parking)
Spring Season: (March 1, 2024 through May 31, 2024)
- General Admission: $12.00 for Adults | $11.00 for Seniors 60+ | $6.00 for Children 3-10 | Children 2 and under are free
- Season Passes: $25.00 for Adults | $20.00 for Seniors 60+ | $14.00 for Children 3-10
- Wagon Rides: $5.00 for Adults | $3.00 for Children 3-10
- Sweet Pea Maze Free (advance reservations required)
- Group tours are available for any group of 20 people or more and in both self-guided and guided versions. Advance reservations are required for all group tours. Click here for more information on group tours and determine the best selection for your group.
*Tickets are available for purchase online and onsite
- Kids’ Day | March 29th – Kids can enjoy face painting, ballooning, and arts & crafts demonstrations for all!
- Jake Taylor Smith – April 4th | 1:00pm – 4:00pm – Come and enjoy Jake’s classic jazz sound bringing back the music and style of the 40’s and 50’s with a modern twist
- Bluegrass Day | April 11th | 11:00am – 4:00pm – Family and friends will enjoy a musical journey of guitar, banjo and fiddle!
- Stoney B. Blues Band | April 12th – If you are looking for a Blues Band with great entertainers and excellent musicians this is the band for you!
- Box Canyon Band | April 18th | 1:00pm – 4:00pm – Enjoy a live musical performance from the Box Canyon Band. Their acoustic bluegrass sounds will have you dancing in your seat!
- Canon Photography Workshop | April 19th – Come and celebrate the beauty of The Flower Fields® at a macro photography workshop.
- Michele Lundeen | April 19th – Dubbed the “Queen of Steam”, she will be sure to command your attention with her Rhythm, Blues, and Rock & Roll
- Red Hat Ladies’ Day | April 26th – An event celebrating the Red Hat Society with a spectacular fashion show, wagon ride, refreshments, and door prizes.
- Blues Day | April 26th | 1:00pm – 4:00pm – A Blues Pro All Star Jam. This spectacular afternoon of blues entertainment features some of the finest musicians in the community.
- Bonsai Show and Sale | May 9th & 10th – Enjoy the unique blending of art and horticulture at our bonsai exhibition and sale!
- Mother’s Day Celebration | May 10th – Join us on the final day of our season for Mom’s special day.
Photo Credit: Moshe Harosh
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.